“Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge.” Kristen Stendahl



Stephen Downes "retiring"


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Stephen Downes of the OLDaily is "taking a pause" and that has taken the wind out of my sails. Stephen has been someone who has worked innovatively, openly, generously and tirelessly in Higher Education for many, many years. But as Nancy White says, "based on the tone of his message, I can't help but wonder what it costs him in his professional position". I'm getting a depressing message there.

Stephen's message:

"I have always tried to offer as much of myself as I could through this service and others in my work and in my own time. It has never been enough, which was made clear to me today, but I am tired and don't have anything more to give.

Accordingly, I am placing this newsletter and website on hiatus for an indefinite period. I will be back when I'm back.

Please know that I have always valued and held in the highest esteem the work that all of you are doing to try to make things better, especially for the young. My dedication toward your objectives, toward social justice and opportunity, toward a better life for all, is never wavering, will never waver.

It is time for a darkening of the light as I retreat and think about what I am going to do and how I am going to do it, but know that the light will never flicker and never fade. I wish you well in your endeavours, and I will be back to walk the long hard road alongside you."

(See where he was in September 2003...)

Tags:


0 Responses to “Stephen Downes "retiring"”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm bev trayner
  • From Setubal, Portugal
  • My profile
What is this portfolio blog?

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

    HigherEdBlogCon 2006



Previous posts

Archives

Blogroll - Ensino Superior



Blogroll - Higher Education



Pistas como docente



Productions


ATOM 0.3

Get Firefox!