“Our vision is more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge.” Kristen Stendahl



Formative evaluation


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



For the first time I have evaluated students on their preparation for the two major pieces of work they have to do. The two major pieces of work are an Oral Presentation (OP) and "Timed Written Assignment" (TWA). I am giving them five percent of their final mark for an introduction to the theme and main points of the final OP; and I'm giving them another five percent of their final mark was for a plan of their TWA.

I was expecting resistance for two reasons: one is that students are not accustomed to formative evaluation which is what this is i.e. they got feedback (in the form of a nota and comments and suggestions); the other is that we are not supposed to have so many moments of evaluation. But not one student complained.

Many of them got very low marks (e.g. 6/20) for their TWA plans. So when I gave the plans back I invited them to improve their plan in the following week with a chance of improving their grade. Most of them did it. I think some of them thought I was giving them an opportunity to cheat! Maybe some of them realised that I was giving them an opportunity to improve (i.e. learn) and an opportunity to take an even greater learning step when they write their final TWA.

Category: Reflections
Tags:


0 Responses to “Formative evaluation”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm bev trayner
  • From Setubal, Portugal
  • My profile
What is this portfolio blog?

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

    HigherEdBlogCon 2006



Previous posts

Archives

Blogroll - Ensino Superior



Blogroll - Higher Education



Pistas como docente



Productions


ATOM 0.3

Get Firefox!